Coach Roads

The Coach Road

Written by Tom and Teresa Wickham

Prior to the construction of the bridges over the Slaney at Wexford and Ferrycarrig in the late eighteenth century, the coach road from Wexford to Dublin passed by Carrig graveyard, the friar’s wood, by the front of Barntown House (now Slaney Manor) and on through the parish by way of Badger’s Hill, Muchwood and onwards via Ballyhogue to Dublin.

Lost Sections of the Coach Roads

Section of the Old Coach Road no longer connected between Carrig Graveyard and Lower Ballygoman / Mullinree

Section of the Old Coach Road no longer connected between Carrig Graveyard and Lower Ballygoman / Mullinree

 

A map of the Road Network recorded by Taylor & Skinner and published in 1777 can be obtained by clicking the link below:

https://www.failteromhat.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=178&fullsize=1