Parish school established in 1819 c
The first parish school was established in 1819 close to the chapel in Ballygoman. It was a single room built from lime and stone which catered for 100 children both girls and boys. The building was financed through donations from Mr. Robert Shapland Carew M.P. and Mr. Caesar Colclough M.P.
Parish School Established 1871
By 1868 there was a need for a new building and so construction began on a two roomed school on a site close to the current church. It was completed in 1871 at a cost of £225. This building was to remain in use as a school until 1953 when it became the parish hall. It was finally demolished in 1989.
Parish School established 1954
By the early 1950s the previous building was in a state of poor repair and an extra classroom was needed to cater for pupil numbers so it was decided to build a brand new school on a green field site beside the Wexford to New Ross road. This new school followed a design that had been developed by the OPW based on the work of an architect called Boyd Barrett. It was officially opened on Monday 20thSeptember 1954. The school was built to cater for one hundred pupils – there were three classrooms, two cloakrooms, a teacher’s room and every possible modern convenience of the time. Almost immediately the school proved to be too small and a fourth classroom had to be added.
By 1978 there were 163 pupils and five teachers in the school. Once again the school building had become inadequate for the needs of the community. Plans were drawn up for an extension to include five new classrooms and a GP hall. The extension was completed and opened in 1980. Much to the joy of the pupils the summer holidays were extended by three weeks to allow the building work to be completed. Pupil numbers in the school continued to grow and prefabs were used to provide additional accommodation.
Current Parish School established 2015
Between 2014 & 2015, the current school building was constructed on the site of the old school playing field and became the fourth primary school in the parish since 1819. The old Boyd Barrett school with its 1980s extension and prefabs situated alongside were demolished to make way for the new playing pitch and walking track. On the 18th December 2015 the school was official opened by Minister Brendan Howlin and blessed by Bishop Denis Brennan.
The building is a state of the art primary school with 16 classrooms, hall, library, learning support rooms, administrative offices and outdoor facilities which include yards, basketball court and a playing pitch with dedicated parking in the adjoining church carpark.
There are currently 271 pupils in the school with a full time staff of 17 teachers and 6 SNAs. The school has ten mainstream classes and two ASD classes. The school has an administrative principal, a school secretary and caretaker.